CyberGhost VPN is one of the leaders in the consumer Privacy Industry with their VPN product which nearly guarantees your online privacy. One the largest and better offerings, they appear in many top 5 lists.
CyberGhost VPN is a full consumer level VPN provider, they are in the top 10 in this industry in almost every single category of comparison. Their VPN comes with all the same basics as their competitors, AES256 Encryption, over 6200 servers around the world in over 90 countries, zero logging of your activities, Tor Support, P2P/Torrent, streaming & torrent support all for a reasonable price. They also have some more advanced features that don’t serve the masses but are beneficial to some of us, such as geo-blocking tricks for streaming Netflix, BBC, Router Support, Kill Switch, etc. They have their own version of split tunneling using smart rules to redirect traffic by destination which will work for most of us, they also offer a browser extension which also doubles as a split VPN for more complex cases such as connecting to work, AWS & streaming Netfix all at the same time. CyberGhost runs on most platforms you have for Mobile, Desktop, FireTV, Samsung TV, AndroidTV, Roku & Chromecast & my favorite is the Router via OpenVPN. For 90% of us, CyberGhost VPN covers everything you could ever need.
Features at a Glance
- 6200 Servers in 90 Countries – Average of 68 servers per country!
- Streaming Support – Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu & BBC, Disney+ and a dozen more!
- Torrent Download support – We tested at nearly 100MB/s in some countries!
- 7 Simultaneous Connections – Above Average but not the highest
- Split Tunneling – Both simple & Complex splits from the desktop
- Router VPN – Connect your entire home or small office to the VPN via OpenVPN Routers listed at end of this review.
- Multi-Platform support – All 3 desktops: Windows MacOS, Linux; Mobile: iOS & Android; Browser Extensions: Chrome & Firefox; TV’s: FireTV & AndroidTV; and a pretty good set of directions for each platform.
Who really needs a VPN? Some of us need them for work, some for recreation, some of us just want to hide our internet activities from prying eyes & intrusive governments. You don’t need to be doing anything illegal to need a VPN. I manage engineering teams around the globe and have found that using a VPN into the country where my engineers are to purchase products works much more seamless and some websites even have different prices based on your IP address! When I’m visiting my engineering teams I use my VPN back to the US to do almost everything on my mobiles & laptops because I set off all sorts of alarms from foreign login sensors, sometimes I’ve even been blocked from visiting certain sites in some countries when not using a VPN, I use it to stream Netflix & Prime in my hotel. CyberGhost VPN gets all of that done and much much more. Maybe you want to do some more illicit things like downloading movies from a torrent site over peer to peer or use a Tor browser, CyberGhost still has you covered. I also use this on my kids devices because our schools block google hangouts, which is my family’s primary communication tool, CyberGhost VPN fixes that problem without breaking a sweat.
Whats Good about CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost VPN has one of the highest number of servers in the most countries and we found some of their servers had surprisingly fast speeds for torrenting. They support streaming, gaming, P2P, concurrent connections. Ad-Blocking is always something I like to see in a VPN because ads are technically a data leak because they can be used to track or identify who or where you are, Cyberghost has you covered there too. All of this for one of the lowest prices in the industry.
Whats Bad about CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost is getting closer to the 10 simultaneous connections I like to see, offering 7 concurrents. MacOS has a intrusive install that I qestion the purpose.
- Requirements – Windows 7+, macOS/OSX, Linux, Android, iOS, AmazonFire, OpenVPN, most of the popular streaming boxes & TV’s, Nintendo, XBox & Playstation (wich we did not test) and even some old school protocols like IKEv2/IPSec. If you have a device that’s not supported by CyberGhost VPN it’s probably time to upgrade your device to something from this centurey.
- Setup – Download, run installer and click next about 3-4 times. Sign in with your username & password then you’re done!
- Operation – Even easier than the setup, choose a country in the list of countries that has a low server load, then connect. If that’s too much decision making you can just choose Quick Connect and CyberGhost VPN will pick a country for you.
CyberGhost is one of the best all-around VPN’s on the market. Their product will cover over 90% of users that need or want a VPN. We don’t currently use CyberGhost but may change over to them soon. We strongly recommend CyberGhost VPN.
Where to Buy
- CyberGhost VPN 1-Month Subscription
- CyberGhost VPN 6 Months Subscription
- CyberGhost VPN 18 Months Subscription