If you are like most smart home enthusiasts you’ve accumulated smart plugs, switches & outlets from different vendors and every vendor has their own smart app to control them. Nobody wants to open 3 apps on their phone to turn on a lamp a ceiling fan and a light, there’s 2 solutions to that problem. The hardware solution is to install a smart hub, the fast and easy solution is to install a software smart app like Tuya Smart App. The software hub apps tend to have less functionality in them but will still cover the basics.
Tuya app is easy to install and easy to connect your devices. If you are only interested in the basic light timers to turn some lights off and on at times of day or events like sunrise/sunset plus the ability to turn devices on and off from your phone without getting off the couch then Tuya is a good choice.
The app is available on most phones manufactured in the last 4-5 years, free to download and easy to setup. Platforms include the usual Android & iOS but wait, there’s more, there’s an app available for Chrome so you can use it on your desktop, laptop or chromebook! Desktop apps for smart home automation are rare, but don’t get too excited because their chrome app is really just an emulator for their mobile app. Desktop is clunky at best due to the emulator platform it runs on. It’s worth mentioning that there is a sibling app called Smart Life, both are made by the same manufacturer of IoT chips that are installed in thousands of smart devices, however Smart Life app is has far more downloads on both stores than Tuya Smart, probably due to the better name of the app, so just stick with Smart Life.
Reccently Tuya Smart dropped support for IFTTT, which was one of the best advanced features of the app. Without IFTTT we have dropped some stars off their ratings.
Tuya Smart Install
- go to your favorite app store, Android or Apple
- Click on the Install/Get App button, wait a minute for the install to complete.
- Open the app, then Signup – You can signup manually or through an existing gmail/apple id
- You’re done and ready to add devices
Tuya Smart Add Device
- Open Tuya Smart app and tap the ‘+’ icon on the top right.
- Connect your device to a power source and make sure the led/lights turn on.
- There are two options to detect your smart device — Auto Scan and Add Manually.
- Auto Scan – you’ll need to change your smrt device (plug/light/switch/etc) into discoverable mode then proceed with the Auto Scan. If your smart device is activated and connected to the right wireless network, Tuya Smart will find it then proceed to the next step.
- Manual Mode – Scroll by category then find your device in the list. The built in wizard will take you through the next steps which vary by device.
- You may have to enter your wireless network password, also check which frequency your devices support because many devices don’t support 5.0GHz.
- Next, confirm your network and tap “Connect Now”. Choose the Tuya Smart app network in your phone settings — labelled ‘SmartLife-xxxx’ — and go back to the Tuya Smart app.
- The app can take 1+ minutes to configure your device, be patient.
- You’re done connecting your device, move onto the next Voice Assistant setup.
Amazon Alexa & Tuya Smart App Setup
- Open Amazon Alexa app on your phone, go to Menu -> Skills.
- Search for “Tuya Smart”.
- Choose Tuya Smart then “Enable”.
- Select your country and enter your Tuya Smart app account credentials, then tap Link Now -> Authorize.
- Alexa & Tuya Smart are connected, tap “Done”.
- Tap “Discover Devices” in Alexa to import your Tuya Smart app devices.
- Any discovered Tuya Smart devices will now appear in Alexa under your Devices.
- You’re done connecting Alexa, test it by saying “Alexa turn on my Den Lamp”.
Google Assistant & Tuya Smart App Setup
- Open Google Home app on your phone, go to Menu -> Home Control.
- Tap “+” icon to add new devices/apps.
- Choose Tuya Smart in the Device/Apps list.
- Choose your country and enter your Tuya Smart app account credentials then tap Link Now.
- Google Home will find Tuya Smart app devices then prompt you to “Assign Rooms”.
- Any discovered Tuya Smart devices will now appear in your Home Control page.
- You’re done connecting Google Home, test it by saying “Hey Google turn on my Den Lamp”.
Microsoft Cortana & Tuya Smart App Setup
- Open Microsoft Cortana app on your phone, go to Menu -> Notebook -> Connected Home.
- Tap to “Enable Connected Home”.
- Sign in using your Microsoft account credentials.
- Tap “Tuya Smart” in the search bar.
- Choose Tuya Smart then sign into your Tuya Smart app.
- Microsoft Cortana will discover your Tuya Smart app devices and import them.
- You’re done connecting Microsoft Cortana, test it by saying “Cortana turn on my Den Lamp”.
Tuya Smart App – Device Compatibility
This is a small list of devices confirmed to be compatible with Tuya Smart App. There are hundreds more compatible products, if you would like another one added to our list please drop us a line on our Contact Page.
- Smart Door and Windows Sensor WiFi Door Open Alarm Phone APP Alert for Personal Security,Home Automation Doorbell Compatible with Alexa Google Home,Wireless Battery Operated Door Chime 2 Pack
- Smart Plug, Wifi Surge Protector, Voice Control with Alexa & Google Home, 3 AC Outlets 3 USB Wall Charger Travel Power Strip, App Control Appliances, Timing Schedule, No Hub Required
- TOPGREENER Smart Wi-Fi Powerful Plug with Energy Monitoring, Smart Outlet, 15A, 1800W, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, 4 Pack
- Wifi Smart Plug – 2 Packs Wifi Switch Compatible with Alexa Echo& Google Home,Tuya Smart Plug Remote Control Smart Life Outlet for Smart Home Life, DWFeng
- KMC 3 Pack Wi-Fi Smart Plug with Energy Monitoring, Compatible with Amazon Alexa Google Home, No Hub Required, Remote Control Outlet with Timing Function, ETL Listed
- Smart Switch by Martin Jerry, 1-Pack Single Pole, Smart Home Devices That Work with Alexa, 2.4G WiFi, Need Neutral Wire
- Smart WiFi Alexa Light Bulbs 2.4GHz, SAUDIO LED RGB Color Changing Bulbs, Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & Siri, No Hub Required, 7W A19 E26 Multicolor 4 Pack
- 3 Way Smart Switch Work with Alexa Google Home IFTTT, Wireless Remote Control with Smart Life APP, Schedule and Timing, No Hub Required, Neutral Wire Required
- Smart Plugs that Work with Alexa Echo Google Home for Voice Control, Aoycocr Smart Home Mini Wifi Outlet with Timer Remote Control Function, No Hub Required, ETL FCC Listed 4 Pack, 2.4GHz Network
- Smart Light Switch, Compatible with Alexa, Google Home IFTTT, App and Voice control, timing function, No Hub required, suitable for 2/3/4 box, neutral wire needs MICMI (Smart Switch 2pack)
- Smart Plug, KMC WIFI MiNi Outle Works with Alexa, Google Home & IFTTT, Smart Life, No Hub Required, Remote Control Your Home Appliances from Anywhere, ETL Certified,Only Supports 2.4GHz Network(4 Pack)
- Panamalar Baby Monitor, 1080P WiFi Indoor Security Camera with 2-Way Audio, Night Vision, Motion Detection for Baby/Elder/Pet, Compatible with Alexa, Compatible with iOS/Android Phone
- BN-LINK WiFi Heavy Duty Smart Plug Outlet, No Hub Required with Energy Monitoring and Timer Function, White, Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, 2.4 Ghz Network Only (2 Pack)
- Novostella 2 Pack 20W Smart LED Flood Lights, RGBCW, 2700K-6500K, 2000LM, WiFi Outdoor Dimmable Color Changing Stage Light, IP66 Waterproof, Multicolor Wall Washer Light, Work with Alexa
- Smart Plug Esicoo – A Certified Works with Alexa, Echo & Google Home – Only WiFi 2.4G (LED Yellow)
- Alexa Smart Plugs – Aoycocr Mini WIFI Smart Socket Switch Works With Alexa Echo Google Home, Remote Control Smart Outlet with Timer Function, No Hub Required, ETL/FCC Listed 4 Pack Only 2.4GHz Network
- Smart Switch by MartinJerry | Compatible with Alexa, Smart Home Devices Works with Google Home, No Hub Required, Easy Installation and App Control as Smart Switch On/Off/Timing (2 Pack)
- Smart Plug, USB Wall Charger, AHRISE WiFi Surge Protector with 4 USB Ports(4.8A/24W Total), 6-Outlet Extender(3 Smart Outlets), Compatible with Alexa Google Assistant for Voice Control
- Smart Water Valve,Wifi Control Water/Gas Shut Off Valve APP Remote,Voice Control Timing Controler,Compatible with Alexa Google Assistant IFTTT,Automatic Valve Wide Range of Uses Kitchen Garden Farm
- Single Pole Treatlife Smart Light Switch, 4 Pack, Neutral Wire Required, 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi Light Switch, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, Schedule, Remote Control, ETL Listed, FCC
- AGSHOME Smart Wi-Fi Garage Door Opener Remote, APP Control, Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, No Hub Needed with Smartphone Control
- Smart Plug WiFi Outlet 4 Pack Work with Alexa Google Home/Smart Life, Avatar Controls Mini Wireless Socket No Hub Required
- OHLUX Smart WiFi LED Light Bulbs Compatible with Alexa and Google Home (No Hub Required), RGBCW Multi-Color, Warm to Cool White Dimmable, 60W Equivalent, 7W E26 A19 Color Changing Bulb-4PACK
- AKASO Outdoor Security Camera 1080P, Wireless Outdoor WiFi Security Cameras for Home Security Waterproof Night Vision 2-Way Audio Remote Access Motion/Sound Detect Support Alexa, Google Home, Fire TV
- Smart Plug Gosund 16A Smart Home WiFi Outlet Work with Alexa Google Home,4 Pack Mini Socket with Timer Function and Overload Protection, Support High Power Appliance, FCC Certification
- Gosund Smart Light Switch, in-Wall WiFi Smart Switch That Works with Alexa and Google Home, No Hub Required, Neutral Wire Needed, Single-Pole 15A, ETL and FCC Listed,4 Pack White
The above is a partial list of Smart Life compatible devices. If you see one missing from the list please let us know @ Contact Us.