Many have already overlooked the significance of anti-freezing agents for trucks, cars, and other vehicles available. Although its main job is to cool your car, there are products available today that can do it better. This is the reason why you have to select with cleverness.
Do not be fooled by advertising claims that there are brands that you should concentrate on. It depends on how you evaluate the products carefully with consideration to your needs.
Even professional and years-long drivers worry about what kind of antifreeze to use. The selection of the product is almost similar to engine oils. Simply imagine selecting the best antifreeze product out of many options on the market.
Best Coolant / Antifreeze Review
Regardless of your survey of what coolant to use from friends concerning the best coolant to use, there are still fundamentals you have to take note of. These basics include types of coolant, aspects to consider when buying one, and using the product itself.
1. Engine Ice TYDS008 High-Performance Coolant
The Engine Ice TYDS008 High-Performance Coolant is a non-toxic, phosphate-free, and biodegradable formulation. It is made to reduce the temperatures of the engine during race or high-speed driving.
Among its noteworthy features is to sustain the levels of freeze-up protection to -26 degrees Fahrenheit and elevated temperatures to 256 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is an anti-freeze solution that could be used right out of the bottle. It comes at 0.5 gallons, which could accommodate any vehicle you have, such as an automobile, ATV, racing auto, or motorcycle among others. Furthermore, it ensures legality in ASRA and CCS road racing.
It has also been used worldwide for race tracks. The formulation of the Engine Ice TYDS008 High-Performance Coolant is made to maintain the high performance of your vehicle by keeping its operating temperatures at safe levels. This also implies it keeps overheating from taking place.
Compared to other coolants, you may use this anti-freeze solution to keep most components in your engine protected. It is also safe for aluminum engine parts. The mixture also utilizes propylene glycol, which is approved for addressing damages in seal and gasket of water pump.
Even in high-stress environments, it will still work at the same level when keeping temperatures at normal rates. You will notice that the temperature will be reduced more during operation than when the vehicle is idle.
- Cools temperature at idle and operating times
- Track-friendly coolant
- Biodegradable and non-toxic coolant
- Effective corrosion inhibitor
- May not be enough for cars
2. Prestone AF888 Dex-Cool Antifreeze
The Prestone AF888 Dex-Cool Antifreeze is packaged with one gallon of an anti-freezing formulation. It is meant for all types of automobiles that originally require Dex-Cool coolant. The coolant is also suitable for medium-sized trucks with radiators made of aluminum material.
Apart from its coolant compounds, you can expect the Prestone AF888 Dex-Cool Antifreeze to work well with inhibitors. The additives are included to ensure long-lasting performance. Besides keeping your vehicle from corrosion and rust, it will also safeguard your engine from extreme temperatures.
Overheating will no longer be an issue even if your vehicle is exposed to high-stress situations. The anti-freezing formula features the Low Tox Antifreeze technology out of propylene glycol that generates extra protection for animals. You simply need to replace the coolant after travelling 150,000 miles or once every five years.
Alongside its exceptional features, you can put your trust on the product given its rich history. It is manufactured by a company known for introducing the first coolant or antifreeze for automobiles in 1927. Since then, it is one of the names that have been relied on cooling engines and promoting longer lifespan of engines.
Prestone specializes in creating products with different chemistries and colors. The company was even claimed as the provider of best-selling coolant in North America. Recent development in its products is the Cor-Guard inhibitor, which supports a longer life of an engine.
- Patented formula
- Inhibitors against corrosion and rust
- Supports longer life of engine
- Protects up to five years or 150,000 miles
- Effective in avoiding overheating
- Not applicable for green coolant mixing
3. Zerex ZXGO51 G-05 Antifreeze
The antifreeze formulation is made up of a gallon of mixture that will keep the temperature of your engine at the right levels. It has a hybrid organic acid technology, so it is best used for newer models of cars. Basically, this is the approved formulation for newer models from Daimier Chrysler and Ford.
The chemistry of the formulation mixes the best features of organic acid technology and conventional types of coolant. It also has a superb protection against corrosion and rust. Different from other anti-freezing solutions, it utilizes high-quality virgin ethylene glycol for protection against over-freezing and extreme rise in temperature.
You will only have to replace the Zerex ZXGO51 G-05 Antifreeze after travelling 150,000 miles or once in five years. Given its top-quality chemistry, it guarantees longer inhibitors’ lifespan, promoting extended protection to your engine. The formula is also free from phosphate, low in silicate amounts, and low in pH levels.
Regardless of the type of metals present in your engine, it can guarantee protection. This means even aluminum parts will be safeguarded. As claimed by the manufacturer of the product, its formulations go through stringent examinations at every aspect concerned.
The Zerex ZXGO51 G-05 Antifreeze is also tested for every possible model of a car per manufacturer. History shows that DuPont is the original producer of Zerex, a non-evaporating ethylene glycol coolant. In 1994, the brand was acquired by Ashland oil firm.
- Hybrid organic acid technology
- Does not harm vehicle finishes
- Contains additives avoiding deposits
- Ideal for both diesel and gasoline engines
- Also works for BMW vehicles
4. Star brite Star-Cool Premium Synthetic
The Star brite Star-Cool Premium Synthetic features polycyclohexylene dimethylene terephthalate (PCT) additive solution that will sustain the appropriate temperatures of your engine.
Compared to other coolants, it promises to get rid of the extreme operating temperatures better. The engine coolant also met the lofty standards set by American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM).
The formulation is also designed to seal the fissures or leaks of pinholes in your engine. The chemistry from Star brite is also powered by propylene glycol, which is a non-clogging and non-toxic solution. You may use the coolant for 12 months.
The Star brite Star-Cool Premium Synthetic can protect your engines at low temperatures up to -26 degrees Fahrenheit and overheat at 265 degrees Fahrenheit. Star brite also made it possible to make the formulation suitable with other coolants. It could be used as a filler after system flushing or a top-off.
The packaging of the product is legal in all 50 states of United States. It also comes from a trusted manufacturer – Star brite. The company has worked with the experts in developing coolants with the right additives.
To make the formulation of Star-Cool coolant includes mixed poly organic additives (POAT) with the propylene glycol base. This makes it more effective than traditional anti-freezing solutions available.
The service life of the coolant is up to 250,000 in gasoline engines and 750,000 miles in diesel engines.
- Probably exceeds OEM standards
- Seals pinhole leaks
- Ready-to-use coolant
- Safe for diesel and gasoline engines
- Lasts for a long time
- Report of engine failure after use
5. MaxLife 719009 Antifreeze – Gallon
The MaxLife 719009 Antifreeze is developed and manufactured by Valvoline. It is a solution that will extend the life of your engine by keeping it from temperature changes. Even high mileage vehicles will benefit from the anti-freezing solution.
Regardless of the environments where your vehicle travels to, your automobile will be able to sustain its stable temperature. This ensures overheating or extreme freezing will be avoided. Unlike the conventional coolants, the product contains Alugard Plus, a type of additive that promotes the unified work of compounds in enforcing extra protection for your car.
You can fill almost all types, models, or make of vehicles with the MaxLife 719009 Antifreeze. It is also compatible with all colors of anti-freezing formulations. Even light duty trucks are supported by the chemistry.
By using the coolant, the seals and gaskets of your car engine will be lubricated for better driving. It is also a convenient product given it does not require mixing. Straight from the bottle, you can enhance the performance of your car right away.
As claimed, it has a longer life to protect your engine for an extended period. The product became one of the trustworthy coolants since it comes from a pioneering company in engine formulations. Valvoline was the first to create a lubricant for engines in 1866.
Valvoline is also the company behind X-18 single grade oil, which reduces the need for up to 18 lubricants for cars. As time passed, its products became superior even for army fleet.
- Does not require 50/50 mix
- Ideal even for motorcycles
- Allows different chemistries to work together
- Lasts long
- Comes from reputable company
Best Coolant / Antifreeze Buying Guide
Types of Coolant/ Antifreeze
What kind of coolant do I need? Prior to selecting the product to buy based on the brand, you also have to consider the existing coolant types.
People often disregard this not knowing it serves them right to use the most appropriate type of coolant. For every answer to the question what type of antifreeze to utilize, you have to consider the pros and cons under the product category.
1) Organic Acid Technology – This is a type of coolant that you will find in orange to dark green colors. Compared to other types of the coolant, this does not contain phosphates or silicates to keep your car safeguarded. It contains protectants against corrosion, ensuring that it will last much longer.
This is one of the engine coolant types that can also wear down the parts of your automobile over time. This coolant is at times added with special compounds that avoid corrosion and rust. This is the best engine coolant if you want to protect your new vehicle, which means it may not be suitable for your older vehicles.
You may also find it in a red antifreeze version. It has to be flushed every 150,000 miles travelled or five years of use.
2) Hybrid Organic Acid Technology – The coolant type has additional silicates, which promote corrosion protection and aluminium resistance. You can find it in different shades, such as orange and yellow. Other additives in the product are also useful in keeping corrosion and rust at bay.
You may need to flush out the coolant from your car after travelling 150,000 miles or once every five years.
3) Inorganic Acid Technology – This is in contrary to the first type of antifreeze. If organic acid technology is meant for the new cars, this type is used for models from the 20s to the late 90s. It is found in bright green color for visibility, but it is naturally transparent.
It also contains inhibitors against corrosion in the form of phosphate and silicates. You can expect it to safeguard your car’s metal components, including the radiator and engine. It must be flushed out from your vehicle’s system after travelling 30,000 miles or once every couple of years.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Coolant / Antifreeze
In answering the question “What kind of engine coolant should I use?” you must consider a lot of aspects. These specifications concentrate on the features of the product not exclusively pertaining to its type. The attributes of the coolant will then be checked based on your standards, specifying if it will comply with your needs.
1) Check Your Vehicle – You cannot simply use a pink antifreeze to an old or domestic vehicle. You have to be reminded that this type of coolant is appropriate for Toyota, Volkswagen, or Honda cars. If you have a car that comes from 20s to 90s family, then you should look for the bright green antifreeze.
The types of coolant are meant for specific types of car. Similar to pink, orange antifreeze is also intended for the aforementioned vehicles. It may also be used for Chrysler, major Asian, European, and German vehicles.
2) Know When to Use Universal Coolants – There are products available today that are categorized as universal coolants. Naturally, these are also organic acid technology anti-freezing formulations. You must only buy this type of coolant if you have been using organic acid technology to your car.
3) Select Ready-to-Use Mixtures – You will find coolants that still have to be mixed with equal part of water. This may not be the most suitable option since poor mixture could lead to an ineffective cooling of the engine. It is ideal to purchase straight from the bottle anti-freezing solutions with consistent strength.
4) Get Recommendation – The manufacturer of your vehicle most likely has a recommendation on what type of coolant you should use. Take heed of it and make it possible to use the same coolant type for your vehicle.
Safety Tips When Using the Best Coolant /Antifreeze
Given you have found the answer to the question “What kind of antifreeze should I use?” you still have to learn how to use the product properly. There are means of doing so, which will also assist lengthening the life of your car’s engine. Poor or ineffective use of anti-freezers often leads to damage of car components that is why you have to be very careful.
1) Prevent Mixing – There are cases that you may mix the coolants available, but if you are not aware of what you are doing, do not attempt to do so. For instance, you chose to mix blue antifreeze with bright green coolant, your cooling system may not function properly. There is a possibility of the formulation to turn into a gel.
If you have to mix coolants, the best liquid to use is water. There are already aged reports of engine failure due to mixing coolants. Others even reported more corrosion.
2) Check the Rust Inhibitor Condition – You know the original color of your anti-freezing solution. In case it changes to a rust-like color, it may indicate broken inhibitor. This also implies it can no longer control the accumulation of scale and rust.
This requires flushing out the system. Afterward, you must fill in another 50/50 mix or ready-to-use coolant.
3) Take Note of Slippery Feel – Your engine coolant may feel gritty when touched. This is not a good sign since the anti-freezing component is already dirty. It must again be flushed and replaced.
Whenever the slippery feeling is not present, the sufficient lubrication no longer exists. Even the agents that inhibit rust have degraded. You have to take action instantly to avoid wearing the pump.
4) Be Cautious of Burnt Smell – If you smelled the coolant and found it similar to a burned liquid, there is a possibility of overheating. This is also not a good thing, particularly now that the bi-metallic spring may be damaged.
5) Maintain Your Cooling System Properly – Apart from the use of anti-freezing formulations, proper maintenance would also play a major part in keeping your engine working. You must sustain the proper levels of freeze point and coolant.
6) Read Instructions Beforehand – Every time you purchase a coolant, do not neglect the instructions or manual included in the package. Other manufacturers add diagrams to make the pinpointing of location easier.
The best coolant will help you enhance the performance of your engine minus the worries about coolant failure.
Nonetheless, if you want the best performing anti-freezing formulation out of the products, you better utilize Engine Ice TYDS008 High-Performance Coolant. The product is the obvious winner of the comparison given its perfected features.
It is even made for racing vehicles so you know that it can handle the highest temperatures an engine may reach while operating. Moreover, the existing users of the coolant can attest that it also improves the horsepower of their vehicles.
The worldwide utilization of the coolant already guarantees that it is trusted by professionals in vehicle use. If racers trust it to keep their vehicles safe during life-risking competitions, then there is no reason to neglect its use.
Alternatively, you may also try the other coolants provided. Just prioritize selecting the best coolant formulation for your existing car to prevent further damage.